Tuesday 18 October 2011

I love Charity shops and carboot sales

Over the years i have bought many things second hand: Clothes/books/toys etc

Here are some of my favourites:

Four of my favourite books:



 Ornaments that make me smile: (I used to have the little boy in my shop, but i love him so much i'm keeping him)



 This tin stores birthday candles, when not in use at Easter:




 When i got married i bought lots of tea cups and cake stands for our at home tea family tea party. I kept a few and donated the rest back to a charity shop.
One of my best ever buys was the blue glass jug with 6 matching glasses for less than £5:




 50p bargain:



I have bought lots of pictures and frames from charity shops and car boots. My son loves this print:




 Books, childrens clothes and toys have probably been my most purchased. Charity shopping makes me smile more than normal shopping - i know i'm helping plus i get a bargain, like the Laura Ashley bedding i got for my son for about £3:



 


 This is my Poppy and Daisy work planner for 2012:




I haven't found many clothes lately, but in the past i have bought a Karen Millen coat for £4, bags, jewellery, jeans and plenty of tops:






Some of the benefits of charity shops in the UK :
  • xStatistics:Their trading raises over £110 million a year for good causes.
  • They play a major role in the re-use of second-hand goods (helping the environment, eg reducing landfill and global warming)
  • They're a more effective way of raising money for good causes than house-to-house collections
  • They publicise the good causes they represent, and many provide leaflets and information/advice.
  • They receive £ millions annually in cash donations.
  • 120,000 volunteers donate their time, by working in charity shops.
  • They provide good-quality, inexpensive goods - helping the less well off.


Please don't forget my other blog. Todays post is Baking and other lovelies.

xx

10 comments:

♥ Miss Tea said...

oh yes, dont u just love charity shops, not only the prices are low, but it's also for a good cause hence guilt free shopping :)

Loving all of the things you got from charity shops, especially the blue glass jug with matching glasses and the cute little boy and deer, so kitsch!

susan

Andi's English Attic said...

I love charity shopping. If I make a mistake it's not a lot of money and gets donated back. I'd also much rather scan a cs bookshelf than a high street bookshop or the library.

Oh the Alfie books. I still have my daughter's. I can't bear to part with them. xx

Grateful4Crochet said...

I love charity shopping too!!!
So much!!!
It also makes me feel less of a consuming capitalist

Tracy Glover said...

You've found some brill stuff. I have read the 'Elegance' book. I have also read one by her called, 'Innocence' which I absolutely love. Have you read it? It is quite sad but really lovely, one of my faves. xxx

VintageVicki said...

I love charity shops. Have had some wonderful bargains over the years. We also donate loads of stuff too - I never use the doorstep collections - I don't trust many of the companies.

Pippin Lane said...

There are some lovely bits there.....loving charity shops right now, when my Mum back in the day used to shop in them, I used to be all embarrassed, BUT now I love em! Rarely do I buy a book brand new, and I've found some lovely outfits too.
Nattie x

Lululiz said...

Gotta love both boot sales and charity shops, I have spent many hours at both.

Scarlett said...

Got to love the booty and charity shopping, i love the thrill of the chase, knowing to expect the unexpected. Although i have been a bit grumpy about CS pricing around me at the moment. Scarlett x

Alisa Noble said...

Such great finds.
I love the Daybook of Comfort and Joy.

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I've had some amazing finds over the years - can you tell from my blog I like charity shopping?!

I have that same alphabet tray, although mine used to belong to my mum.