Saturday 10 April 2010

PollyAnna



Wonderful quotes from a film i love:

Pollyanna Whittier: My father used to say that if we ever had the money you have, we would eat steak and ice cream three times everyday!

Pollyanna Whittier: I'm sorry about the dress, Aunt Polly. Mother said it was a size too big, but Father said I should be glad it wasn't a pair of boy's trousers.
Aunt Polly Harrington: Well, that's hardly anything to be glad about.
Pollyanna Whittier: Well, my father always used to say...
Aunt Polly Harrington: Yes, well, never mind what your father used to say. Pollyanna, this is going to be your new home now, and I hope you'll be very happy with me. Nancy will show you to your room.
Pollyanna Whittier: I'm very glad you sent for me, Aunt Polly. Your home is very lovely.
Aunt Polly Harrington: Thank you.
Pollyanna Whittier: It must make you awfully glad.
Aunt Polly Harrington: Glad?
Pollyanna Whittier: That you're so very rich!
[Reverend Ford starts to cough. Nancy takes Pollyanna out of the room]
Nancy Furman: Honestly!
Pollyanna Whittier: Did I say something wrong?
Nancy Furman: Well, let's just say there are about sixty-eleven things you could've said besides that!



Pollyanna Whittier: [petting her aunt's dog] Hello! What's his name, please?
Nancy Furman: *His* name happens to be Elizabeth!
Pollyanna Whittier: Oh, you're a girl! You're lovely.




Angelica: Stuffy in here. Not much of a room, is it?
Pollyanna Whittier: But it's my own, anyway. I'm glad of that. Ooh, and the bed's soft! And it's got a lovely window.


Aunt Polly Harrington: That dress is disgraceful. Tomorrow we'll go into town and get you some decent clothes.
Pollyanna Whittier: [incredulous] Store-bought?
Aunt Polly Harrington: Why, of course. Where else would we get them?
Pollyanna Whittier: Out an actual store? *New* clothes?
Aunt Polly Harrington: You're a Harrington now. I want you to look like one.




George Dodds: How'd you like to go down the street and get a great big dish of ice cream, my treat? Oh, no, that's a rotten idea. She probably hates the stuff.
Nancy Furman: Probably.
Pollyanna Whittier: Who, me? Oh, no, I love it!
George Dodds: No kidding? How'd you ever develop a taste for that awful stuff?
Pollyanna Whittier: Oh, no, really! I really do love it!
George Dodds: I know the perfect place. Come on, girls, follow old Cousin Fred to the land of strawberry frappe. Unless you'd rather go down the street and have a beer?
Pollyanna Whittier: You're funny.


Nancy Furman: I think it might be better if you didn't mention the ice cream to your aunt.
Pollyanna Whittier: My father taught me never to tell a lie.
Nancy Furman: Oh, Pollyanna, it wouldn't be telling a lie. But there's no reason to bring up the subject if it isn't mentioned. About Cousin Fred, I mean.
Pollyanna Whittier: I like your Cousin Fred. Very much.
Nancy Furman: Oh, he's all right, I guess.
Pollyanna Whittier: He's very handsome, and he has a nice smile. But there's something... I don't know... funny about him.
Nancy Furman: [suddenly defensive] What do you mean, funny?
Pollyanna Whittier: I know what it is! It's his name. He doesn't look at all like a Fred!
Nancy Furman: What?
Pollyanna Whittier: He looks more like a George to me!




Reverend Ford: [reading Pollyanna's locket] When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will. - Abraham Lincoln


What i love about the film:

-The beautiful house and gardens
-How Pollyanna says 'How'd you do?'
-Pollyannas milk moustache
-The music that plays throughout the whole film
-Pollyanna walking 'up the stairs like a lady'
-And walking out of the store like a lady, tripping down the kerb and rearranging her hat.
-The gorgeous, huge conservatory
-The way Pollyanna says 'it's gorgeous'
-All the pretty hats in church
-The cow eating grass, and her copying him eating her peas
-Nancy and Pollyanna singing while making deliveries
-Rainbow prisms in strings across the windows
-'You ought to forget about dying and be glad your living' - to Mrs Snow
-The Glad game: try and find something to be glad about even when things are going wrong
-The glad passages/happy texts in the bible: 'If God took the time to tell us 800 times to be glad and rejoice, he must of wanted us to do it'
-The Bazaar: bikes/music/lanterns/sparklers/balloons/the huge 3 layered cakes/massive chunks of watermelon at a penny a slice/corn on the cob/patchwork quilt/the pretty bandstand and the lady that plays the drums who always makes me chuckle/fishing for a toy.....Mrs Snow makes the lady choose the doll for Pollyanna. Pollyanna says 'Oh my gosh look, shes mine, oh how did they know?'..it brings a tear to my eye everytime/Singing the National Anthem/The horse and cart that takes them all home.
-How Pollyannas dress matches her dolls
-When everyone comes to see Pollyanna at the end bringing her gifts and love...
'We just want to bring a bit of gladness into her life'. 'Like she did into ours, God love her'.
'What is everyone snifling about. My goodness a bunch of ninnies, think a person couldn't get well..'
-'We looked for the good in them, and we found it, didn't we?'
-Harrington..The glad town

Have you got a film that you put on when your feeling down or unwell? This film cheers me up everytime.
xx


15 comments:

Beki said...

Pollyanna was/is a great film but then I don't think there was a Hayley Mills film I didn't like.

Beki xxx

Mrs. Cozy Home said...

OOOh wow, a kindred spirit -- my favorite childhood movie of all time!!

Great quotes!!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Pollyanna was my all time favourite Disney movie growing up. Thanks for reminding me of a classic movie.

Jackie said...

It's a wonderful film and I LOVE the Glad Game too :O) xx

Kissed by an Angel said...

My mum took me to the cinema to see Pollyana, I cried so much she was going to take me home!!! I recently saw a re-make on TV, it was brilliant!!! I still cried!!!!
xxxx

MelMel said...

Pollyanna always makes me weep.....I love it so much!
The Glad game is fun!

I got the top from Primarni....:>))

xxxx

maryannlucy said...

:-)
Lovely post x

Moi said...

I love the Pollyanna film, not a huge fan of Hayley Mills, but the film is fab.

Unknown said...

Yes, Pollyanna is one of my favourites too! x

Primchick said...

I know I'm a lucky girl..!
Bless her she was nervous before hand... but I know she could do it, pictures have come out fab haven't they?
Cupcake heaven... happy days..
Marion :o)

Anonymous said...

So did you like the film then?! lol Thanks for joining in the swap.xx

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

It is a fab film!!

Victoria xx

Anonymous said...

oh, i do love that film, it's so magical!
thank you for this post..it's an absolute treat :o)

Anonymous said...

p.s. i was just reading audrey hepburn's lovely words...she was so special, wasn't she?

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Hi, there! I was just looking for some Pollyanna info and found your post. So glad I did! Although Heidi and all the Shirley Temple films are my favorite, Pollyanna is up there in next place! In fact, the reason I was looking for info is because I was writing a blog post about the rainbows I have in my rooms during the fall/winter months, as result of the prisms I hang in the windows, inspired by Pollyanna. Thank you for posting such great memories from the movie!