Friday 29 January 2010

You've got mail

 I love love love the film 'You've got mail'. I cannot begin to tell you how many times i have seen it.


This is a post dedicated to one of my very favourite feel good films:


Favourite quotes:

Frank: What about you, is there someone else?
Kathleen Kelly: No. No, but... but there's the dream of someone else.

Kathleen Kelly: I love daisies.
Joe Fox: You told me.
Kathleen Kelly: They're so friendly. Don't you think daisies are the friendliest flower?



Kathleen Kelly: I like to start my notes to you as if we're already in the middle of a conversation. I pretend that we're the oldest and dearest friends -- as opposed to what we actually are, people who don't know each other's names and met in a Chat Room where we both claimed we'd never been before.
What will NY152 say today, I wonder. I turn on my computer. I wait impatiently as it connects. I go online, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing. Not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beating of my own heart. I have mail. From you.


Joe Fox: Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address. On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms.

[in the backgroud horns are honking, tires are skidding and people are shouting in the street]
Kathleen Kelly: [seriously] Don't you just love New York in the fall?



Kathleen Kelly: [writing to "NY152"] Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one! It got on at 42nd and off at 59th, where, I assume, it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake, as almost all hats are.

Kathleen Kelly: When you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does.



Joe Fox: Don't cry, Shopgirl. Don't cry.
Kathleen Kelly: I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly.

Kathleen Kelly: [in an email to Joe Fox] The odd thing about this form of communication is that you're more likely to talk about nothing than something. But I just want to say that all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings.

Joe Fox: You know, sometimes I wonder...
Kathleen Kelly: What?
Joe Fox: Well... if i hadn't been "Fox Books" and you hadn't been "The Shop Around the Corner," and you and I had just met...
Kathleen Kelly: I know.
Joe Fox: Yeah, yeah. I would've asked for your number. And I wouldn't have been able to wait 24 hours before calling you up and saying, Hey, how about... oh, how about some coffee, or drinks, or dinner, or amovie... for as long as we both shall live?


-Annabel suddenly sneezes.

Kathleen takes a handkerchief from her sleeve.  It's an old
fashioned hankie that's embroidered.  She offers it to
Annabel, who instead wipes her nose with her hand and then
looks at the handkerchief, a little puzzled.

   ANNABEL:
 What is that?

   KATHLEEN:
 A handkerchief.  Oh my, do children not
 even know what handkerchiefs are?  A
 handkerchief is a Kleenex you don't throw
 away.  My mother embroidered it for me --
 you see?  My initials and a daisy,
 because daisies are my favorite flower.


KATHLEEN:My mother and I used to twirl!

xx

(photos from various You've got mail websites)

29 comments:

Kissed by an Angel said...

This is one of my favourie films too!!! I never get fed up with it!!! I always cry at the end - it just does not matter how many times I have seen it!! Good choice!!!
xxxx

Thedarkerside73 said...

Oh I love that film too. In fact I love a lot of films that feature New York. I have never been there but I sometimes think that it will never be quite as i imagine it.

And what a beautiful shop "The shop around the corner is"

A lovely post really enjoyed reading the quotes.


MBBx

Tina said...

Ok, so THIS is my favourite film EVER!! LOL, I just love it so much that I can also go along saying all the lines. Awwww, thank you for such sweet reminder! Must watch it again soon! :)
xx

Coco Rose Diaries said...

I watched this film yesterday! I LOVE it! One of my most watched dvd's I want to be Kathleen Kelly! I love her style, her shop and her apartment, so sweet, such a feel good warm film. I felt so great after watching it! Have a great weekend! xxx

Anonymous said...

I have seen this so many times but never managed to catch all of it at once. I must buy the DVD as it is such a feel good film. Lovely post, thanks

made with love said...

This is a great film. I have really enjoyed reading your blog today. Have a fab weekend,
Rachael XX

Emily said...

I love this movie too. It has been playing on cable all winter and when nothing else is on I'll turn it on and watch parts of it. It is fun to see the progress the internet has made and I LOVE the scenes in her book shop. We have a used book shop with that much character nearby that I always go to first when looking for a book. It is such a feel good movie.

Unknown said...

Oh man this has to be one of the BEST posts I have read so far this year....LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!
Cannot get enough of this film...my disc needs replacing now cause its so old and overused!!
Thanks for sharing that hun..gonna bookmark this page...thats HOW MUCH I love this post!!!
Annie xx
My fave is the butterfly quote!

Andi's English Attic said...

I've never seen this film. I know about it of course, and the original 'The Shop Around the Corner' (think I may have seen this one). Stupid, I know, but I went off Meg after her infamous 'Parky' interview and I can't warm to her anymore like I did with 'Sleepless in Seatle'. :(
xx

Beki said...

I knew there had to be a reason I liked you so much, it has to be your fab taste in so many things.
I love this film and is even listed as one of my faves in my profile.
Will be watching Legaaly Blonde with J and her friend tomorrow and if you think about it, Elle Woods is a brilliant role model.
Have a great weekend

Beki xxx

Tilly Rose said...

This is my all time favourite ever! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Whenever I'm feeling low I reach for it instantly....I love her appartment and when I get my shop one day I want one just like hers but with shabby bits n bobs in.
Oooh you've made me smile!!!!
Hugs Karen x x x

Unknown said...

I love this film too, I have watched a lot! I love Meg Ryan though, some of her other films are brilliant too! suzie. xxx

Victoria Plum said...

I love this film but haven't seen it in ages!!

lindalou said...

This is one of those movies that I watch over and over again. I think it appeals to those of us who are hopeless romantics. Thanks for all the wonderful reminders of it's special moments.

Sure glad I'm not familiar with Megs "Parky" interview cause I love Meg Ryan and want it to stay that way.

If they were to make a movie of your life, who would you want to play you. Mine would be Meg.

Dianna said...

Hi there, I have a little red/heart package for your fund raising event. I'm hoping to add a few more things, but thought I'd get these in the post for you first, so at least you have them. Could you possibly let me know where to send them please? Thanks ever so much.

dscowen@btinternet.com

Claire said...

Hiya, I love it too, I love everything about it, the apartment, the shop, the wonderful scenes of New York, I want to watch it now but currently one TV has football on and the other is being hogged to play on the x-box...hmmm!!!
Did you enjoy the Jamie party? xx

Monica said...

Ooooohhhh!!!! You made my day!!!! This is absolutely one of my favourite films!!!!!!! Cannot count how many times I've seen it (and made my hubby see it!!) too!
Thank you!
MOnicax.

Lyn said...

Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks are so good together. Lovely post.
Love
Lyn
xxx

Kelly said...

I love this film too!!! It reminds me of my Mum!

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Do you know I haven't ever watched this film!! I need to change that... I've caught bits of it on the tv but never seen it from beginning to end.

Victoria xx

salty pebble said...

such a wonderful love story...i love the communication and the feeling u get from the film- i do watch it alot...tom hanks is a hunk! hehe xx

Thecraftytrundler said...

i have never seen this film too! Sounds as though i will have to put that right!!
Great movie write-up!!!

Sharon xx

PS Your parcel will be in the post in a few days!! At last!!!

periwinkle said...

I'll join the queue of people already faveing this film -- i would so love her shop and everything in it , then again I wouldn't mind her apartment either - with the daisies :-)

Mrs B said...

Oh my goodness!!! Lissy we are one and the same! This is my favourite film of all time!!! MrB will kill himself laughing when he reads this, he has had to watch it, I don't know how many times!! i watch it when I feel sad, when I feel autumn-y and schooly (Isent Ms Fish a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils, t'other day!!!) I watch it when it is Christmas.......oh ohoh ohohohohohho!! I can't believe it! ITs a bit spooky, are we separate?! x I loved that post soooooooooo much! And your notebook monday idea is genius! I am def getting manuka lozenges! x I am so inspired by you today! x

Deb said...

Love this film too ♥

Catherine said...

I am so with you!!! My favourite line is "I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address". I watch it loads too!

LoloDesigns said...

'Go to the mattresses', am always immitating that one in my life, when no one is looking of course:o)

Owned on dvd and watched a zillion times! Oh and Sleepless in Seattle is another one that gets me everytime! xx

Anna Matthews said...

My all time favourite i loved this film so much that i went eight times alone to see it. I did not want to share the moment with anyone

Hausfrau said...

A fave of mine, too--I watch it at least once a year, around American Thanksgiving!