Toffee apple and pear crumble
4 large Cox's Orange Pippin apples, peeled, core removed, cut into pieces
4 pears, peeled, core removed, quartered
225g/8oz unsalted butter, chilled, cut into pieces
125g/4½oz dark brown soft sugar
1 orange, zest and juice
handful dried dates, halved
handful dried figs, halved
100g/3½oz spelt flour
100g/3½oz oats, preferably organic
100g/3½oz demerara sugar
- To serve
custard, cream or vanilla ice-cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the apples, pears, half the butter, dark brown soft sugar, orange zest and juice into a large saucepan, and heat gently for 5 minutes, then add the dates and figs and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the fruit is tender, but not too soft.
- In a large bowl, rub the remaining butter into the flour using your fingertips, then stir in the oats and demerara sugar to make the topping mixture.
- Tip the softened apples and pears into an ovenproof dish and scatter over the crumble topping mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden-brown. Divide into each of four to six serving bowls and serve with custard, cream or ice-cream.